+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T8 BDM or can usb and how?

Share/Bookmark

T8 BDM or can usb and how?

hey guys i just made a wiring harness for can flash on a t7 ecu fairly easily but i now have a T8 car that i wish to tune also. i started out the same way i did with my T7 by doing research here and reading about what the pros did but there is a lot less info. so what i am asking is is there anywhere that tells you how to make the wiring harness for a t8? i know the combiaapter is supported and t8 suite says you can read and flash with it but do you have to do it through BDM or is there a way now to do it through CAN without soldering to the ecu? if so is there a how to guide for either. i have seen a pin-out of J1 on the T8 ecu but it only shows the X2 12v power and 1 ground pin. any help would be great thanks.

I would recomend programming via the OBD socket as it has got P-bus inside and T8 can always be restored even if flashing fails.
    In the documentation that comes with T8suite you have the pin layouts for both the OBD socket and the connector on the T8 ECU if you wish to flash on the desk.

Hi sonofd1xie,

mackan is right if you want to FLASH your original ECU or one that has been 'married' to your car. CAN FLASHing using the OBD connector in the car is the easiest way to do things .

Things are a little different if you want to use another ECU in your car without marrying it first. In this case you must make a clone of your original ECU before you can FLASH your 'spare' ECU. The steps are:
    1) DUMP your BIN file from your original ECU, either BDM or CAN it doesn't matter but making a CAN connection is usually easier
    2) BDM FLASH your original BIN file to your spare ECU - this step copies the VIN and IMMO, your car will start but won't the engine won't run properly
    3) CAN FLASH your original BIN file to your spare ECU - this step 'resets' some adaption values (I think) and your engine will now run properly

You can now start tuning with your spare ECU .

I hope this is still correct information, but if not I'm sure mackan CAN correct me if I'm wrong

Good luck,
    Sophie x
    More than meets the eye.

Sophie, you're correct as usual :)

Quote Originally Posted by Just4pLeisure View Post
    Hi sonofd1xie,

mackan is right if you want to FLASH your original ECU or one that has been 'married' to your car. CAN FLASHing using the OBD connector in the car is the easiest way to do things .

Things are a little different if you want to use another ECU in your car without marrying it first. In this case you must make a clone of your original ECU before you can FLASH your 'spare' ECU. The steps are:
    1) DUMP your BIN file from your original ECU, either BDM or CAN it doesn't matter but making a CAN connection is usually easier
    2) BDM FLASH your original BIN file to your spare ECU - this step copies the VIN and IMMO, your car will start but won't the engine won't run properly
    3) CAN FLASH your original BIN file to your spare ECU - this step 'resets' some adaption values (I think) and your engine will now run properly

You can now start tuning with your spare ECU .

I hope this is still correct information, but if not I'm sure mackan CAN correct me if I'm wrong

Good luck,
    Sophie x
    thanks for the tips guys the only thing im a little unsure of is how and where to solder the bdm ribbon cable on the ecu i cant find anywhere that shows how to do this with T8 i see in the T7 suite documents it shows a T5 and a T7. is there something im missing in the T8 documents for the suites? or is there somewhere i can find this info?
    Last edited by sonofd1xie; December 29th, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Hi sonod1xie,

There is information near the beginning of the T8 PDF document under 'Downloading with ECUprojects USB BDM interface'
    NOTE: My Just4trionic and johnc's CombiAdaptor work without the L7805 power supply shohn in the wiring circuit. johnc has said that he doesn't understand why the wiring circuit includes a L7805 power supply and uglybug. has said that the ordinary LPT BDM adaptor works without the extra power supply too (based on the 'md 0x0 128' command in BD32 only since at the time I hadn't completed my BD32 scripts for the T8. I don't know if anyone has had success with my 'universal' scripts on a T8 ECU yet either).

There are also some photos in this topic:
    http://forum.ecuproject.com/showthre...17-t8-recovery
    and another here:
    http://forum.ecuproject.com/showthre...ll=1#post76795

An significant difference between T8 and older ECUs is that the BDM connections are a lot smaller and there aren't holes to fit the pins through.

Hope this helps,
    Sophie x
    More than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Just4pLeisure View Post
    Hi sonod1xie,

There is information near the beginning of the T8 PDF document under 'Downloading with ECUprojects USB BDM interface'
    NOTE: My Just4trionic and johnc's CombiAdaptor work without the L7805 power supply shohn in the wiring circuit. johnc has said that he doesn't understand why the wiring circuit includes a L7805 power supply and uglybug. has said that the ordinary LPT BDM adaptor works without the extra power supply too (based on the 'md 0x0 128' command in BD32 only since at the time I hadn't completed my BD32 scripts for the T8. I don't know if anyone has had success with my 'universal' scripts on a T8 ECU yet either).

There are also some photos in this topic:
    http://forum.ecuproject.com/showthre...17-t8-recovery
    and another here:
    http://forum.ecuproject.com/showthre...ll=1#post76795

An significant difference between T8 and older ECUs is that the BDM connections are a lot smaller and there aren't holes to fit the pins through.

Hope this helps,
    Sophie x
    Thanks Sophie this is exactly what i needed. I dont know how i missed that part in the T8 doc but i got it now. im still new to this but i want to have all my basis covered so that i dont end up making a stupid mistake. I am still waiting on johnc to send me my Combi but once it gets here i have an extra T7 ecu to play with and a wiring harness set up for CAN reading/flashing. i know that if anything goes wrong there isnt much i can do without using BDM so i wanted to have an idea of how to set up and use it for T5, T7, and T8. i have friends/family with all of the trionic ecus so i want to eventually be able to tune them all. i think all i can do now is wait for my combi and see what i can/cant do. thankfully i will have an extra ecu so i can still drive my car until i get the hang of it.

+ Reply to Thread